Monday, September 15, 2008

Our Service


On Thursday and Friday, I had the honor of representing Camden at the Service Nation Summit. This was a historical event and a small piece of a great movement. Thursday night, I listened as our next president spoke about national service expansion. Friday, I listened to mayors, governors, and senators speak about the legislation and programs that will sponsor and support. I heard the Joint Chiefs of Staff, the highest position in the military, discuss the importance of having options for young people to serve their country in a meaningful way as civilians.

I met wonderful people from young people have devoted their lives to serving their community and nation to Executive Directors who founded or operate effective organizations that work to decrease the high school drop out rate, bring health services to the sick, or build homes for those that need shelter. I was around leaders who know how to bring direct services to those that need them. I am determined to use the lessons and models in Camden, so that we can truly have solutions to the real problems that we face.

I have two weeks to coordinate the Day of Action on September 27th, 2008. I hope that you will join me on this day at one of the many community service events going on around the city.

In the pictures are Sen. Clinton (NY-D) and Martin Luther King III.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Nice photo ops. Wish I could have been @ the event. Looks like you caught Sen. Clinton (D-NY) off guard. LOL What are you plans for 9/27?


Future Mayor of Camden 20??